My mouth is watering right now just thinking about this. You have to make it.
Cuban Braised Beef and Peppers
from Real Simple magazine, issue unknown
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges (I used 2 medium shallots)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1.5 pounds flank steak, cut crosswise into thirds
- 1 cup long-grain qhite rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, oregano, cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Nestle the steak among the vegetables. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- 25 minutes before serving, cook the rice.
- Using two forks, shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with avocado and cilantro.
That's it. Simple but incredibly flavorful and tender. The only change I made was to use shallots instead of onion--just because that's what I had on hand.