Saturday, October 10, 2009

Palais de Tokyo

I went to the Palais de Tokyo.

It was disappointing to say the least. I think maybe I missed most of the museum.

Maybe not.

When I got there and pulled out my money to pay, the cashier asked me if I was a student. I said yes, but I was older than 26, so I don't get the discount.

"Are you sure?"

"Uh, yep. Pretty sure."

"And you don't qualify for any other discounts?"

"I don't think so."

"You're sure? You're definitely older than 26?"

"Yep." (Seriously??) (Although, apparently almost everyone in France though I was 23, so I guess I can't blame her.)

"Well, okay then. It's 10 Euros."

I should have taken that as a bad sign. If even the museum staff doesn't think the exhibit is worth the entrance price...


This was the coolest thing in the museum. And it was in the gift shop.


This is the cafeteria.

This is a piece by Jim Shaw called "Heap." It's a big pile of McDonal's Happy Meal toys turned into a creepy sea monster with resin, green spray paint, styrofoam, and metal rods. This was the next most interesting thing in the museum.
In the background you can see the security guard. I was the only person in the museum. (Yet another clue.) When I asked if I could take pictures, he said, "Yeah. You can also stay here and flirt with me for a while if you'd like."
I just laughed like he was joking and went on my merry way, trying to get pictures in the ridiculously low lighting.


Don't know who did this or what it was called. But it was built to look like it had smashed through the wall of the museum.





So that's it.
Disappointed?
Well, I'd be lying if I told you I was surprised.



No comments: