Saturday, May 29, 2010

Spiced Pork Chops with Red Cabbage and Raisins

This recipe is from the November 2009 Real Simple.

Ingredients:
-3 T olive oil
-4 bone-in pork rib chops, about 1-inch thick (2 lbs total)
-1 tsp ground cumin
-Kosher salt and black pepper
-1 onion, sliced
-1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced (~6 cups)
-1/2 c golden raisins
-1/4 c red wine vinegar
-1/4 c chopped fresh dill

-Heat 1 T of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium hear. Season the pork with the cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, 6-8 minutes per side.
-Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 T of oil in a 2nd large skilled over menium-high heat. Cook the onion, stirring occasioinally, until softened, 3-4 minutes.
-Add the cabbage, raisins, vinegar, 1/4 c water, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cook, covered, tossing occasionally, until just tender, 6-8 minutes; stir in the dill. Serve with the pork.


Okay, I didn't use bone-in chops. I probably should have, but I ended up loving them anyway, so who really cares?
I did not, however, love the cabbage accompaniment. Maybe with a bit of sugar thrown in for good measure to cut through that red wine vinegar, but WOW that stuff is strong. The cabbage was actually more enjoyable after a day or two, but I don't think I'll make it again. I will make the pork chops again, though.

No comments: